2009 was a pretty fucking awesome year! Seriously. I’ll probably make another post about the rest, but there were some amazing movies and some great records that came out.
Top 10 Albums
A lot of people are making lists for the decade, but I decided that I just couldn’t do that. It was too difficult of a task. So I stuck with just doing a top 10 favorite records for the year. In previous years, I’ve done bigger lists, but I’m keeping it small this year. And, as usual, this is a list of my favorite records, kind of like a personal playlist, rather than ones that I would say are the best.
- Neko Case – Middle Cyclone – Anti
- Frank Turner – Poetry Of The Deed – Epitaph
- The Lawrence Arms – Buttsweat And Tears – Fat Wreck Chords
- M. Ward – Hold Time – Merge
- Coconut Records – Davy – Young Baby Records
- Monsters of Folk – Monsters Of Folk – Shangri-La
- Dear Landlord – Dream Homes – No Idea
- Conor Oberst And the Mystic Valley Band – Outer South – Merge
- NOFX – Frisbee/Coaster – Fat Wreck Chords
- Future Of The Left – Travels with Myself and Another – 4AD
And besides those, there are a few honorable mentions:
- Cheap Girls – My Roaring 20s
- Sonic Youth – The Eternal
- The Decemberists – The Hazards Of Love
- Mason Jennings – Blood Of Man
- Wilco – Wilco (The Album)
- Andrew Bird – Noble Beast
- Grizzly Bear – Veckatimest
- Camera Obscura – My Maudlin Career
You know, I almost wanted to put Lady GaGa on that list somewhere. I think I’ve spent some serious time in the second half of this year discovering a love for her. I never would have thought that I’d think so highly of her, but she’s pretty friggin’ awesome. However, I just can’t say that The Fame Monster was that great overall. It’s good for a few really great songs, but there’s also a lot of filler. Oh well.
And 2010 is already looking like it’s going to be a great year with new records by Murder By Death, Minus The Bear, Against Me!, Spoon, She And Him, and more already announced. I can’t wait!
Top 10 Movies
I actually had a much harder time making my list of top 10 movies for the year. There were a TON of good flicks this year and there were so many that I just didn’t have time to see either! Ultimately, these were my favorites:
- Inglourious Basterds
- Star Trek
- The Hangover
- Dead Snow
- District 9
- Paranormal Activity
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
And of course, some honorable mentions:
So there you have it, my favorite albums and movies of the year. I’m hoping to post another entry about other things from 2009 if I get a chance over the next week. But until then, don’t forget that I’ll be counting down that top 10 albums list tonight on The Playlist with The Reverend on 90.3 The Core!